Wednesday, May 16, 2007

fold KK? - yes!

so when would you fold KK? no, i didn't smell AA from a tight player who hasn't raised 4ever. no, i didn't pick up a tell. it's all situation. in fact i folded KK preflop, no raise before me. i would've folded AA here too. here's the situation...
pocketfives.com (a site that ranks online players and has other tips, etc.) emailed me about a promo they were doing, which included a $1 rebuy/turbo NLHE tourney where they added 30 buy-ins to the pokerstars sunday millions to the prize pool. great deal!!!
i had a great start - i ended up in 5th place by the end of the 30 minute rebuy period. there were a couple of guys pushing with ATC and continuously rebuying. my plan was to do that a little at the start, but once i doubled up, be a little more selective. turns out i got pretty lucky and only had one rebuy - and i didn't even need it! i had pushed on one of my first couple of hands with J9s and tripled up. the one rebuy i bought was during that hand, not thinking i'd actually win.

the post-rebuy period wasn't so kind to me. i tried a few steals and other solid raises that didn't connect on the flop, and after a long roller coaster ride up and down the standings, i ended up pretty short and luckily got all-in with QQ vs TT and it held up, putting me in the top 30 or so with 80-some players left and 73 tickets in the prize pool.
then came the hand - i get KK, utg+2. the SB had a little more than me, the BB was all-in blind, and one other stack with a little more than me behind me. 80 players left and they are dropping out 1-2 per hand. yes, i would've won the hand, in fact K-high beat Q-high on that one. but the point is, preflop i'm at best an 88% fav, but i figure to have at least a 98% of finishing with a ticket if i just fold away.
perhaps if i had a lead over everyone at the table by at least 2M then i would've considered it more. all things considered, i think i made the right play here, and here's my reward:


hopefully, i can turn this ticket into some real $$$!


1 comment:

QuackyWacky said...

I agree with your KK fold there, you had more than enough to survive to 73 so it was a good laydown!